Monday, December 04, 2006

Great Noir Westerns

I've never been a big fan of the western genre except for the Clint Eastwoods and a handful of spaghetti westerns like the Django and Sabato series. Recently, I've come across several really great westerns that are dark, gritty, and oh-so-noir-ish. Mannaja: A Man Called Blade directed by Sergio Martino (Horror Express), Winchester '73 directed by Anthony Mann (Raw Deal), and McCabe & Mrs. Miller directed by Robert Altman (M*A*S*H).

In particular, the latter is an excellent and realistic depiction of frontier life in the 1880s. A gambler (Warren Beatty) opens up a whorehouse in a mining town and brings in a seasoned madam to run it (Julie Christie). When their operation becomes too successful, it attracts the attention of the mining company who offers to buy them out... or else! Reminds me of a David Goodis novel as the protagonist, McCabe, is weak and flawed but likable. You want him to win, to overcome his inner demons and become a hero even though the odds are very much against him... I won't spoil anything by giving away the ending. It also reminds me a bit of the protagonist, Jimmy, in my zombie novel, Deathbreed.

Even though I love horror movies, the older I get, the more I find I like to explore different genres. I've already seen just about every horror movie (foreign and domestic) that I care to see and I don't see too many worthy new ones being released. I can't just watch the same stuff over and over. The lack of quality new releases forced me to check out all kinds of other stuff over the past decade... and I've been pleasantly surprised! I think exposing myself to so many different genres and influences has been invaluable in making me a better writer and filmmaker.

Anyway if you're looking for something dark but not full of zombies, vampires, or axe-wielding maniacs, do yourself a favor and see what else the world has to offer. Chances are you'll be glad you did!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wildside Cinema said...

Check out Keoma when you get the chance! Great flick!

Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Todd Tjersland said...

Thanks for the tip on Keoma. Will check it out!

Friday, January 19, 2007 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Todd Tjersland said...

Hey, just saw Keoma. An excellent spaghetti western, but I think I still prefer Mannaja: A Man Called Blade. Just like Mannaja, that crazy theme song in Keoma took about half the movie for me to get used to, but once I did, it was extremely powerful and moving. I was so fascinated by Keoma I had to watch it again immediately after. The film holds up incredibly well to repeat viewings--in fact, I think it gets better!

Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Todd Tjersland said...

Just watched The Great Silence and thought it was pretty good but not as fun as Keoma or Mannaja. Speaking of these last two, I've watched them back to back tonight and concede Keoma is the better film. Still love Mannaja, though! Next on my spaghetti western watch list is Death Rides A Horse starring Lee van Cleef and Lucio Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse...

Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home