Friday, May 26, 2006

ZOMBIE NOVEL: Status Report & Excerpt #2

I'm at just over 57,000 words in my zombie novel, DEATHBREED, up 4,000 from last time. Yeah, yeah... I thought I would have been farther along, too, considering the two monster marathon writing sessions I put in since my last update. Lemme tell ya, I've really been surprised how writing "crunchy bits" (zombie pseudo-science/mythology) has blunted my blitzkrieg word count momentum. It's like suddenly switching gears and being forced to write in a completely different style versus the more colorful, character-driven narrative that dominates the book. I've made good headway, however, and am pleased to report that the majority of these obligatory "talking heads" news reports are not only behind me, but that I'm extremely proud of them and the amount of research and thought that went into crafting them. Through them (but without necessarily providing a concrete origin and rationale for their existence which, as everyone knows, is a no-no) I've successfully managed to put some fresh new twists on flesh-eating zombies while still giving diehard George Romero "Dead" fans (like me) what they want.

Here's a brief excerpt (minus spoilers) of what I'm talking about when I mean "crunchy bits":
------------------------------------------------

Bryan kept the radio on, the volume turned up so we could all hear the latest reports. These were dominated by eyewitness accounts, many from the air, as the streets of the major cities were considered to be unsafe or impassable due to roadblocks, fires or rioting. I sat behind the cash register on my plastic milk crates and listened...

“…The CDC has now confirmed reports of an unknown biological agent found in the blood of the attackers. The virus causes an extreme state of agitation in its victims, combined with increased adrenaline production and confused, criminal behavior. Despite impaired brain function, the infected are drawn to loud noises and display a single-minded ferocity in trying to kill or destroy the source of the sound, whether human, animal or machine. It is not yet known why the infected are drawn to such noises, but you can help protect yourself by remaining quiet and indoors.”

Oh, shit. Here we go, I thought.

“There are large numbers of infected moving through the streets of all major cities from coast to coast. These forces are rampaging and killing citizens despite the best efforts of the military and law enforcement. The situation is being exacerbated by a smaller, but no less dangerous, armed contingent of vigilantes and looters…”

Smaller? Yesterday, they were supposed to be the majority!

“If you see anyone acting in an erratic or suspicious manner, do not approach, even if their identities are known to you. Infected do not recognize family or friends and are incapable of communication. It is as if they are operating in a dazed or hypnotic trance-like state. They will attack and pursue all non-infected with single-minded determination. This pursuit can be kept up for miles or for however long they can maintain visual or auditory contact. Their only goal is to kill and devour non-infected individuals.”

“You got that right,” I smirked.

“Tests run by the CDC on infected individuals have conclusively demonstrated that the infected will ignore each other in most situations. There are two exceptions: 1) They have a limited ability to communicate with each other by way of a moan or wail; the infected also make this sound whenever they encounter, or think they have encountered, possible prey; and 2) Infected will fight each other but only to be the first to get at food, that is, non-infected individuals. Fortunately, they have only a limited ability to use tools. For example, they have been known to use bludgeons such as available sticks and stones if continually frustrated in efforts to get at victims with their hands. They appear to be operating on a very primitive, some might say prehistoric, level. The infected’s preferred method of attack is to grab hold of their victims and bring them in close for a bite…”

“You got that right, too!” I laughed.

“Those they do not kill, they infect through wounding. Exposure to the infected’s bodily fluids through open wounds, or through eyes, nose, mouth or, uh, sexual contact, are the only known methods of transmitting the virus. It is not, I repeat, not an airborne contagion and the nation’s water supply is safe to drink. Again, I urge you to avoid any contact with infected individuals and report their presence to law enforcement immediately. Unless absolutely necessary, you should remain in your home with all doors and windows locked. Avoid travel; many roads are jammed with cars attempting to flee the affected areas and roadblocks have been established to contain the virus to the major urban population centers. Stay tuned for the latest news. We’ll be back, right after these messages...”

A commercial for some crazy preacher came on, warning of the “End Times” and that Jesus would be here soon. “So come on down to the Christ Our Lord Christian Center’s Rapture Party, where you can be the first to greet our Lord and Savior in person!”

I wondered how many jackasses would get killed or infected trying to “come on down” for the Rapture. I was about to make a smart-ass remark about it when I heard the office window shatter...

"They're breaking in!" Bryan shouted, struggling to be heard over the rising chorus of moans that had seemed so far away a moment ago. When we thought we were safe.

Bodies fell through the breach, thudding on the cement floor. Rotten feet crunched on broken glass.

I chambered a fresh round into my shotgun. We were all going to die.

DEATHBREED Excerpt Copyright 2006 Todd Tjersland. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to read Excerpt #1

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now I just need to find another 40-50,000 words or so to finish my novel, LOL. That'll be the end of June at this rate (fingers crossed for sooner). Then the lovely, painfully down-n-dirty job of the second draft begins...

You know, I've written screenplays and all kinds of stuff before, fiction and non-, but writing a novel--goddamn!--that is some serious shit. It's a huge commitment of time and energy; month after month pounding away at the keyboard, not even counting all the countless hours spent doing research and brainstorming... It's given me a whole new world of respect for those who do it, even if they suck. Well, not so much if they suck, LOL, but you know what I mean.

So would I do it again? Ask me when this book's done, but confidentially, right now, the answer is "YES!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home